Debugger (Does it work for Qodly methods?)

When I run the method myFirstMethod, the debugger fails to open.

Image #1 of 3

The method myFirstMethod is shown below.

Image #2 of 3

When I hover over the breakpoint, I see the tooltip draft breakpoint. See the following image.

Image #3 of 3

I click the method’s Execute icon to run the method. A confirmation message appears saying, “Method executed Successfully”.

The following happens.

1. I Click Debug, and the debug icon turns green.
  2. I click the the green execute icon to run the method.
  3. The Debugger fails to open at line 7.
  4. A message appears at the bottom reading “Method executed Successfully”.

QUESTIONS

1. Does the Debugger’s green-lit icon mean that the Debugger is activated?
  2. Will the Debugger open at any stop point encountered?
  3. What is a draft breakpoint? (See image 2.)
  4. Can the Debugger be summoned in a Qodly method?

Hey Jeremy!

1- Yes, when you get that green circle it means that the debugger is at your disposition,

2- Yes, normally you start by setting the breakpoints in your code, then start the debugger, execute the method and then the debugging window will be displayed

3- Draft breakpoint means that you did set the break point in your code and then you did some updates.

4- The green feedback you get means that your function was executing successfully.

5- Did you save your function before running it?

@Fadwa

After saving, the debugger presented.

So when the purple dot is present in the method’s tab, I should first save the method before running it.

The documentation for Starting a debug session shows three bullets as follows:

I suggest adding a fourth bullet to the Starting a debug session documentation.

The revised bullets would read as follows. My suggested additional bullet appears in bold.

1. Click the Debug button located in the Studio toolbar.
  2. If the debug session starts successfully, a green bullet will appear on the button label.
  3. If the method tab shows a purple bullet, save the method before executing it.
  4. Once you begin executing code within the debug session, the bullet will turn orange.

Hello Jeremy,

Actually, the purple bullet within a widow’s tab represents an unsaved state within an open window, whether it pertains to a webform, a class function, a method, or the model editor. Therefore, describing it as the primary indicator for identifying a Draft breakpoint may not perfectly align with Qodly’s design principles.

Instead, in the Breakpoint Status section, we emphasize that you must save your changes beforehand for the breakpoint to undergo validation and become effective.

Best regards,

@basmael

Thanks for pointing out the break-point statuses.

So now the revised bullets would read as follows. My suggested additional bullet appears in bold.

1. Click the Debug button located in the Studio toolbar.
  2. If the debug session starts successfully, a green bullet will appear on the button label.
  3. Make sure the break-point is a solid red circle. If not, see break-point statuses for guidance.
  4. Once you begin executing code within the debug session, the bullet will turn orange.
1 Like

Excellent suggestion! We’ll incorporate it as a note or warning in the concluding part of the Starting a debug session section.