New Content on Server (What triggers this warning in the Studio editor?)

Here is the warning that was presented in Studio.

I clicked the Cancel button and then clicked the browser’s Reload button.

I see (outdated) appearing in the open tab when I click the ```Reload`` button.

Here is what I see after clicking the browser’s Reload a second time. The (outdated) message persists in the tab.

QUESTIONS

1. What causes the “New Content on Server” message to appear?
  2. Since I clicked the browser’s Reload button, shouldn’t the content displayed in the tab be the same as on the Qodly Server?
  3. Why does the (outdated) message remain after clicking the Reload button?

Hello Jeremy,

Qodly Studio ensures real-time synchronization for methods and class functions while incorporating Collaborative Editing Behavior for specific scenarios.

The “New Content on Server” message is displayed when someone else, or even you in another browser tab, makes and saves changes to the same code you’re currently editing. It signals that newer versions are available on the server, potentially rendering your current work outdated.

Refreshing a web browser page won’t automatically synchronize your local content with the latest server version. Qodly Studio relies on local storage for data persistence to maintain your work, restoring it, including unsaved changes, during a refresh. It also monitors for the outdated status, which serves as an alert that your current tab content differs from the version stored on the server.

Clicking the Reload option in the Qodly Studio method/class tab initiates a refresh of the code content directly from the server, automatically aligning your local version with the latest changes on the server.

Just to confirm, did you encounter this message while attempting to reload the content?

Best regards,

@basmael

I am trying to remember what immediately preceded the appearance of the confirmation dialog reading, “Changes made to the file will be lost. Continue?”

Unfortunately, my memory is blank.

@basmael
Here is the confirmation request dialog.

QUESTIONS

1. What type of document does the .4qs extension indicate? Methods and classes?
  2. Where in the documentation are the Qodly document-type extensions listed?
  3. Does the name Untitled1 indicate something I created but have yet to name?
  4. What happens when clicking the Confirm button?
  5. What occurs by clicking the Cancel button?

The .4qs file extension is used for Qodly script language code files, which can contain both methods and classes.

Currently, the documentation lacks a dedicated section for Qodly document-type extensions since .4qs is the sole extension for code-related files. However, your suggestion to include a section discussing other Qodly-related files is highly appreciated and worth considering.

When creating a new method or class, it initially appears as UntitledN, where N is a number incrementing with each new creation. You have the option to provide a meaningful name during creation or rename it later to reflect its purpose.

In the Collaborative Editing Behavior section of the documentation, you’ll find two scenarios. First, there’s the Reload Option within the method/class tab, which, when selected, refreshes the code content from the server, with a confirmation message warning of local changes being lost.

Second, there’s the Save all scenario, where choosing to save outdated code triggers a message alerting users to new content saved by others, preventing unintentional overwriting of recent changes by different users.

Choosing cancel in both the Save all and Reload Option prompts means no action will be taken. Your local changes remain intact, and you won’t see others’ edits until you either reload the code content from the server or save your changes, potentially overwriting the server’s version.

Best regards,

Excuse me for interjecting. May I ask on which browser you use Qodly Studio? Keep in mind that support is limited on Safari.

@miyako

For working in Qodly Studio, I use Chrome (currently version 117.0.5938.132.)

For the documentation and forums, I prefer Safari.

Occasionally, I have had a connection to the 4D Studio (127.0.0.1:7080/studio/) and a connection to the Cloud Studio (cloud.qodly.com) simultaneously in Chrome.